Friday, September 7, 2007

Get Your Soul On: Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings

I don't purport to be an expert on Soul music, but I think I have an ear for it that is better than most. For the last couple of years I have heard about Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings here and there. Mostly, in the context of Amy Winehouse's debut album and recent tour, where The Dap Kings served as her backing band, but I still never bothered to really give their stuff a thorough listen. After hearing some tracks off their forthcoming third album, 100 Days, 100 Nights (Oct. 6th on Daptone Records), you can bet that is going to change (I am feverishly looking for a leaked copy to download while I wait until I can buy it on vinyl).

Listen to the lethal combo of Jones' Tina Turner-like bombast and the R&B-ish funk groove of The Dap Kings for five minutes and you'll swear you are listening to an obscure 45 record from the 1960's, but in reality these jams were recorded just two years ago. That's because this music can stand toe-to-toe with almost anything produced during that golden era of Soul/Funk. Judge for yourself and tell me what you think.

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - Various songs (from The Hype Machine)

*Photo taken courtesy of flickr user Jon Madison

No comments: