Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Song of the Day - Budos Band: "Chicago Falcon"

Today's song came to me as a result of a friend's recommendation. My buddy Rob called me and told me I should check out Budos Band because he thought I would really like them and that I should post something about them. Now, normally I never promise anything because I take the business of writing this blog very seriously, so I told him I would check out their MySpace, but ultimately I would only post something if I liked what I heard. It basically took about 30 seconds for me to decide that I liked these guys.

According to their MySpace page Budos Band is comprised of 12 members and their musical style can be described as "Instrumental Staten Island Afro-Soul" (their words). What does that mean exactly? Basically it means they lay the funk down with the best of them. By mixing Afrobeat percussion (Tony Allen would be proud), funk-inspired bass lines, and soulful horn melodies, Budos Band creates a hodgepodge of beats and rhythms that can get any party started.

"Chicago Falcon" is the lead track off their generically titled sophomore album Budos Band II and it showcases this winning formula quite well. Waves of jazzy bass, funk guitar, conga/bongo drums, and a piercing organ prop up a brass fanfare that pronounces the coming of some severely funky times ahead. It's a great way to kick off a record and lure in the listener for the long haul. Luckily, the rest of it is so good that keeping your interest shouldn't be much of a concern.

Budos Band - "Chicago Falcon" (from Budos Band II")






No comments: