Thursday, February 14, 2008

Song of the Day - M.I.A: "Paper Planes" (Remix for the Children by Adrock)

I am a huge sucker for dub remixes. Since basically  anything considered Dub Reggae is in and of itself a remix, no other genre is better suited to reinterpret songs of all shapes and sizes. I love how anything that is given the dub treatment immediately demands you crank up the volume and let the deep bass shake your speakers. I love how random sound effects permeate in the background that sound as if they were created with kitchen utensils (often times they are). Most of all, I just love how good dub music creates a mood that makes it hard for me to be pissed about anything.

That last part definitely applies to this remix of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" by Beastie Boy Adrock. While it isn't better than the original, which happened to be one of my favorite songs of last year, no remix is supposed to be (unless it is of a crappy song). To get your hands of your own copy of this remix, and four others, it can be found on the digital-only EP Paper Planes (Homeland Security Remixes), which includes mixes from Diplo, DFA, Blaqstarr and Scottie B.

No comments: