Wednesday, June 4, 2008

We Built This City On Barack 'n Roll

Before anyone leaves a snide comment, I am well aware the title to this post is cheesy. I chose it because I am growing tired of all the 'clever' puns of Obama's name you see in the media. As usual, many have been beaten into the ground and now only serve to remind us about silly things like "Obama Girl." No thank you.


Anyway, what the hell am I doing writing about Obama anyway? Those that know me in person know that I am never without an opinion when it comes to politics, so it should come as no surprise to them that I have an opinion about this nation's first Black major presidential nominee. Yes, it is historic and wonderful that history was made last night, and I am myself an Obama supporter, but let's cut it out with the self-congratulatory 'this is a uniquely American story' narrative that I've been seeing on the cable news channels. This has happened in other nations with equally (or more) sordid histories of discrimination/institutional prejudice. For Christ sakes, Pakistan elected a female President (something this nation's people apparently still aren't ready to do) in 1988. Has our country's superiority complex already regressed to the point that we feel the need to dominate a fictitious democracy record book? (This now concludes the political portion of the discussion)

Speaking of domination, one contest that Obama wrapped up months ago was the race to claim the hippest celebrity endorsements. No where is this more apparent than perusing the list of musicians who have expressed support for the Illinois senator. So, it is with that in mind that I decided to create a tribute to Obama's win last night in the form of a playlist comprised of nothing but pro-Obama artists. Enjoy.

Obama Jams

No comments: