Saturday, September 6, 2008

Video(s) of the Week - Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy & TVOR: "Final Solution" & "Bela Lugosi's Dead"

[photo courtesy of the Official Nine Inch Nails Flickr photostream]

This week I am taking another opportunity to showcase the most fan-friendly and technologically savvy musician in the business, Mr. Trent Reznor. Why another post about Trent Reznor? Because I got floor seats to see Nine Inch Nails (with opener Deerhunter, YES!) tonight and I am pretty excited. Also, I wanted to prove a point about how free music actually benefits the music industry. While Reznor has been kind enough to release two full-length albums free of charge and free of strings attached, it's only fair that fans such as myself pay back the favor and use our cash to see him live and in person. See how that works, RIAA. A band/artist uses music for marketing themselves (and not necessarily as a profit stream) in order to generate ticket sales at the box office. It's not a hard concept to wrap your head around.

I decided to give you two videos because I couldn't decide which one of these I liked better. Filmed during a NIN sound check two years ago in Washington, DC, we see three exceptional acts letting loose to play two of their favorite songs. Peter Murphy hangs in background (at least mostly, since Murphy is too much of a ham to stay silent forever) to let Reznor take the reigns of his most recognizable song, "Bela Lugosi's Dead", while TV on the Radio lay down the backing music. On the next song Murphy takes center stage as the three acts pay homage to Pere Ubu's classic (and one of my favorites) "Final Solution." Both songs are executed flawlessly and I hope I get to see a similar surprise tonight at The Forum.

Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy and TV on the Radio - "Bela Lugosi's Dead"


Trent Reznor, Peter Murphy, and TV on the Radio - "Final Solution"

No comments: